Priest Dies After Being Stabbed In Fort Calhoun Church Rectory

Priest MURDERED - Found Stabbed To DEATH!


After a violent incident in Fort Calhoun’s St. John the Baptist Church rectory, a Catholic priest was stabbed and murdered early Sunday morning.

After being transported to the Nebraska Medical Center by ambulance, the Rev. Stephen Gutgsell tragically passed away, as reported by the Archdiocese of Omaha.

Kierre L. Williams, 43, of Sioux City, Iowa, was apprehended on the spot, according to Washington County Sheriff Mike Robinson. He was then taken into custody on charges of murder and felony weapon possession.

“The Archdiocese of Omaha is praying for Father Stephen Gutgsell, who was assaulted during an invasion at the rectory of St. John the Baptist parish in Fort Calhoun early Sunday morning,” the statement from the Omaha archdiocese said. “Father Gutgsell was transported to Nebraska Medicine in Omaha, where he died of his injuries. The Washington County Sheriff’s Office is investigating, and there are no further details at this time. Please join Archbishop George Lucas in prayer for the repose of Father Gutgsell, for his family and for the St. John the Baptist parish community in this tragic time.”

Around 5 a.m., Gutgsell, 65, allegedly called 911 to report an intruder trying to enter the rectory, according to Robinson. According to Gutgsell, deputies arrived shortly after and saw him bleeding from stab wounds.

St. John the Baptist parishioner Mike Fitzgerald says he was contacted about the attack early Sunday morning. He announced that the church’s regularly scheduled 8:30 a.m. Mass would not be held.

Father Gutgsell has been here 11 years, and I thought he was a very holy man,” Fitzgerald said. “He did a lot of things for the community. He always made sure that the (church) bulletin had everything in it that we needed to know about things going on at the church.”

The assassination of Gutgsell was the second murder at Fort Calhoun over the past few months. The body of Linda Childers, 71, was discovered in her house in the country on August 14th. The day before, someone broke into her house and killed her, according to the authorities.

William P. Collins is facing charges related to the case, including first-degree murder, two counts of using a weapon to conduct a felony, first-degree assault, burglary, possession of a stolen handgun, theft, and possession of a firearm by a prohibited person.

According to the authorities, Collins went on a Midwest tour, had acquaintances in Omaha, and it seems like Collins and Childers had no connection.